Sunday 27 March 2011

The game - 7 weeks, graphics test


Hello world!
This is my third video about making my little game and (hopefully) learning some c++ on the way.

There has been a lot of progress recently,
mainly the graphics layer which I did to test of the style how the game could look like.
Next there is an ability to read signs and interact/chat with items/enemies,
then there are destroyable blocks which (are horibly implemented, but works) can be shot with your weapon, and ofcourse I made player start without the weapon so you need to find and pick up the weapon first before you can use it.
Then we have a "Main menu" and a "Pause menu" from which you can quit the game.
and yes we have first signs of water... it's just a graphics for now, it does nothing water should do, but I still don't know what would be the best way how to do water.. hmm, need to think a lot more for longer period to figure it out somehow :3

anyway there are bugs, mostly the whole collision detection system is one big bug -_- that I don't like..

and yes I almost forgot, I made this into a release if somebody would want to give it a try... (^_^)b here you go: link is in the youtube video

any comments/critique/hints/hate mail welcome...

BTW you can toggle thru debug modes with 'W'
there are 5 modes:
first just display some crap on top,
second will show you the collision tiles,
third will show the bounding boxes for player collision detection,
fourth will make you fly and
fifth will swich off the collisions so you can fly thru walls.

44 comments:

  1. This game looks amazing, would love to play it! See if you can get it up on Steam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn, it looks awesome! I am so jealous right now :S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the video man! Awesome stuff thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the look of it. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I was wondering if you could share the source? If not that's cool too...

    ReplyDelete
  6. it makes me wanna play, keep these coming!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe how far the game has come along. It's really cool to see it go from start to finish. Doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am trying to learn how to program android applications. I really want to make my blog into an application for the phone.

    Good work here, I do work in C++ also. Learned Visual Basic 7-8 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, this looks really good. I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's awesome to watch a game come together. Good job! I'm looking forward to more progress.

    ReplyDelete
  11. always wanted to make a game just couldnt find the time

    ReplyDelete
  12. just followed you because this thing totally reminds me of icyjump(?) the one where the dude with the hat is jumpin on iceblocks all the time :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow you are good, nice man!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow that's great! I once tried that with Java, but lost motivation

    ReplyDelete
  15. Woah looking good , how hard was it to make ? My first though when i saw it was lemmings :P

    ReplyDelete
  16. @CloudEmperor It's not actually that difficult to start making a game even when I'm considering that I just learn myself but since I'm using HGE (Haaf's game engine) that does all the difficult stuff for me and I can concentrate on the game code and don't have to worry about technology behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cool! Good job on this game man! Followed so I can see the progress (:

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very good game! keep up the good work. Im going to try it this week. looks epic.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Going back over the previous posts... Love the look of it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks pretty solid for a beginner also how long have you been learning c++ for? +1 follow

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Bramen I've started last week in january or something like that so it has been 2 months now..

    ReplyDelete
  22. very nice improvement over last post!
    liking the destructible environment and new music
    keep up the awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  23. looks awesome
    i work on some iphone games currently but need graphics and stuff
    maybe we should get in contact :)

    following as well
    http://mac-and-i.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. me again, i really like the sprites you made em yourself?
    if you are interested in a cooperation (iphone/mac port to objective c) and selling it on the appstore just drop me a mail
    ronny.stiftel[at]gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow that looks really interesting! You made that all by yourself? Nice design man :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. It looks nice. Love the music.

    ReplyDelete
  27. @mac-and-me sure, we can chat.. but the game is nowhere from being finished lol, I'm mostly learning c++ on it and will see where it will go from here.

    I'll send you an email later and yes I did everything myself. I'm 3D artist by profession with over 5 years of experience in the indurstry so some 2d sprites are nothing special when you do graphics for motorstorm or so :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. good game, nice job

    + follower:)

    ReplyDelete
  29. very nice, like it, following :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Looking good! Keep up the hard work programming!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Alright, looks great! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Yep, best way to learn code, or anything for that matter, is to tie it to something you like doing, and you'll have more motivation. Great work so far!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow this is very impressive keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Man I love 2d side scrollers with puzzles involved. Apparently you're an artist too, those levels look pretty awesome for sprites.

    What else are you planning to do with it?

    Also, murdering kittens to win? :/

    ReplyDelete
  35. Dude, rad testing. I love your google icon too the animation is dope

    ReplyDelete
  36. i remember a worms Armageddon map that looked similar to this... o the memories...

    ReplyDelete